History of General Santos City - Philippines
Remembering the Time
After getting a go signal from the National Land Settlement Administration way back the late 1930's, General Paulino Santos spearheaded the largest and first group of settlers to the beaches of Sarangani Bay. These pioneers (mostly locals from Luzon) plowed and cultivated their new luscious land diligently. Since then, influxes of locals from Visayas and Luzon Islands journeyed to this land and decided to settle for good. This movement or development had forces the native of the place (the B'laan) to migrate to the mountains. These nomadic locals had eventually changed their way of living as the new settlers boomed and continue to develop the place. Though the B'laans were ousted from their own land, they lived harmoniously with the new settlers with the help of the RA (Republic Act) 8371 which upheld the rights of these indigenous settlers.
Republic Act 82
At the dawn of the New Year in 1948, Buayan District (native name of the place) had been considered as a municipality under RA No.82. Irineo I. Santiago, a NLSA Hospital Administrator, had been hailed as its first mayor. Polomok, Malungon, Malapatan, Glan and Alabel were the province of South Cotabato that had been included under the jurisdiction of Buayan District. The autonomy of this district also comprised of the present municipalities of Sarangani.
Republic Act 1107: The place called 'General Santos'
In June 1954, almost six years of being a municipality, in tribute for its founder, the place was renamed as 'General Santos'. This development had been made possible by Republic Act No.1107 credited to Luminog Mangelen, a Cotabato Province legislator. Since then, the place experienced economic and commercial upsurge as multinational and local companies made use of the municipality's raw materials that upgraded it as a fourth class city. During the period of economic rush, there was a movement to change to name to Rajah Buayan, but the settlers rejected the proposition.
Republic Act 5412: General Santos City
The late Representative James L. Chiongbian authored the Republic Act No.5412 which proposed the province of General Santos to be upgraded as a city. Upon the bill's approval in July, 1968, General Santos was recognized as city as it maintained its name. The newly converted city was instated in the month of September on the same year and Antonio C. Acaron was hailed as its first mayor. For the next twenty years, stability had defined its economic drive and in 1988, General Santos City was considered to be one of the Philippines' highly urbanized cities.
A Renowned Fish Place Today
Nowadays, General Santos City in the Philippines is considered to be the Tuna Capital of the country. It is located at the southern part of the Philippines in the territory of South Cotabato to be exact. It is considered to be one of the densely inhabited metropolitan in the Philippines having a population of more than half a million way back 2007. As its moniker goes, it is the Philippines leading manufacturer of sashimi grade tuna. Aside from the rice marine resources the city has, General Santos City is also one of the largest producers of rice, asparagus, pineapple, copra, coconuts and corn. GenSan (as fondly called by some locals) had been a recipient of the 'Most Competitive City' award in the Philippines for numerous times since 1999 to 2007.